Late 1860s — Collection begins as part of the Department of Geology 

1884 — First paper featuring a KUMIP specimen published

1948 — R.C. Moore begins work on the “Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology”

1960 — First attempt to separate the KUMIP from the Department of Geology

1962 — Richard Benson becomes the first KUMIP curator 

1968 — KUMIP collection becomes an independent unit on campus

1994 — KUMIP collection becomes part of KU Biodiversity Institute 

2006 — General collection moved from Lindley Hall to west campus